Gardener – Maternity Cover
About the role:
Are you interested in growing your recent experience by working for one of the most iconic visitor attractions in the Southwest? This is an exciting opportunity for a Gardener to join the busy team at St Aubyn Estates on a fixed term basis for a minimum of 12 months. This will be a full time, temporary position.
This role will have a focus on providing support to the outstanding gardening team. The responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist with the day to day maintenance and development of the garden, taking delegated responsibility for aspects of the work.
- Ensure the highest standards of conservation, horticulture and visitor experience.
- Assist in a range of practical horticultural work to develop, enhance and conserve the garden (and the wider landscape) and contribute to the delivery of associated projects.
- Develop your own horticultural skills and knowledge with in-house training from the experienced team.
- Work as a team player alongside colleagues and volunteers.
- Engage with visitors to the garden to deliver the best possible visitor experience.
- Plan and implement work with visitor access and their interest in mind.
- Provide a great service to all our external and internal customers.
- Be smart, polite and helpful at all times.
- Be aware of all the activities offered on the Mount and be able to answer a range of questions (or know who to ask).
- Strive for sustainability and efficiency.
- Be an advocate for the St Aubyn Estates and the National Trust.
- Assist with any other tasks which are reasonably requested, for the better performance of your duties or for the achievement of our vision.
Our values are at the heart of what we do, and we will expect you to demonstrate these in this role, in dealings both inside and outside the organisation. We are a small team with a wide range of responsibilities. We are looking for someone who is excited to further build on their experience and make the most of all learning opportunities, the Mount offers a unique working environment like no other and as a key part of that the Gardens showcase the skill and dedication of the team, for someone that is hardworking, dedicated to their role and looking to be a real team player this could be an excellent opportunity to develop yourself.
An hourly rate plus 28 days holiday (pro rata).
Our Vision and Values:
Our Vision is to be a force for growth
- to ensure the prosperity of the Estates for future generations
- to help maintain the unique character of St Michael’s Mount
- to benefit the wider community in West Cornwall
About the company:
St Aubyn Estates has been part of the West Cornwall landscape for more than 600 years. Nowadays, it is a modern, family owned enterprise spanning 5,000 acres with a diverse portfolio of businesses which include land and property management, tourism and hospitality, building and farming. James and Mary St Levan live on St Michael’s Mount, which they run in partnership with the National Trust.
Please send a CV and a short covering statement to email@example.com . Your covering statement should explain why you are interested in the role and what you would bring to it, highlighting relevant experience or transferrable skillsets. St Aubyn’s Estate is an equal opportunities employer.
Closing date for applications is 4th June, with interviews scheduled provisionally for the following week.
Please no agencies