About the role:
Are you interested in growing your recent experience by working for one of the most iconic visitor attractions in the Southwest? This is an exciting opportunity for a Castle Officer to join the busy team at St Aubyn Estates on a permanent basis. This will be a full time position with a live in requirement.
This role will have a focus on providing support to the Castle Steward. The responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· To live in the castle and be responsible for the safety and security of the castle and its contents.
· Day to day responsibility for the practical operations within the castle.
· To assist the St Aubyn family in both the private and public areas of the castle.
· Supervise the Facilities Team across the island.
· To occupy the allocated accommodation (at least 5 nights a week) and be available for security and emergency cover where applicable.
· Comply with National Trust standards on Fire, Security, Health & Safety.
· Be responsible for the correct operation of all fire and security and other systems in the castle, liaise with contractors, undertake regular testing and inspections
· To check the public rooms at the end of the day and lock up and alarm the castle daily.
· To work closely with the Castle Steward to contribute to the castle’s maintenance schedule and keep records of all inspections, repairs, service agreements etc. as laid out in the SMM Maintenance Handbook.
· To supervise and assist contractors when required.
· To supervise the Facilities Team to ensure the weekly and monthly compliance and maintenance checks are carried out throughout the castle.
· To help assist in the smooth running of functions.
· To undertake some heavy cleaning duties, furniture moving and picture hanging.
· To be available when required to assist in any further way.
· To proactively supervise the Conservation Team with a hands-on approach, to ensure a consistent, high level of daily cleaning and conservation.
· Assist with collections management, conservation, presentation and access standards, ensuring we comply with NT guidelines (e.g. the Housekeeping Manual)
· Work with CHB to ensure that the fabric and contents are protected and stored prior to any building work, and to work with the maintenance team on re-dressing the rooms
· To be involved with salvage procedures, maintenance and replenishment of equipment.
· To greet and assist conservation-related visitors and maintain records of their visits and specialist instructions.
· To promote good conservation practice throughout the property, with other staff, volunteers and visitors.
· To research the collection and work with others on developing displays and interpretation of the castle and its contents.
· To ensure that cleaning is carried out thoroughly in all areas to a very high standard, including cleaning of toilets.
· To use cleaning materials appropriately and economically and use the relevant PPE when necessary.
· To report general maintenance where required on a daily basis.
· To carry out minor reactive maintenance tasks when required and follow a preventative maintenance schedule.
· To complete compliance based checks as per the compliance schedule
· To monitor levels of stock and order cleaning supplies as necessary.
Our values are at the heart of what we do, and we will expect you to demonstrate these in this role, in dealings both inside and outside the organisation. We are a small team with a wide range of responsibilities. We are looking for someone who is excited to further build on their experience and make the most of all learning opportunities. You will be able to demonstrate the highest levels of discretion, be compassionate with a tactful demeanour, have a strong motivation to be based in West Cornwall and above all be a strong team player where flexibility is essential.
A live in position with accompanying salary
Our Vision and Values:
Our Vision is to be a force for growth
· to ensure the prosperity of the Estates for future generations
· to help maintain the unique character of St Michael’s Mount
· to benefit the wider community in West Cornwall
About the company:
St Aubyn Estates has been part of the West Cornwall landscape for more than 600 years. Nowadays, it is a modern, family owned enterprise spanning 5,000 acres with a diverse portfolio of businesses which include land and property management, tourism and hospitality, building and farming. James and Mary St Levan live on St Michael’s Mount, which they run in partnership with the National Trust.
Please send a CV and a short covering statement to email@example.com . Your covering statement should explain why you are interested in the role and what you would bring to it, highlighting relevant experience or transferrable skillsets. St Aubyn’s Estate is an equal opportunities employer.
Please no agencies